Whether your new therapy involves an antibody response or is an antibody itself, this powerful immune system component can be involved in the treatment or prevention of a broad range of diseases. However, like any therapy, safety and efficacy must be closely examined before introducing the treatment into the human body.
When the constant region of the antibody (Fc) interacts with a specialized receptor (FcR) different cell responses can be triggered. This ranges from antibody dependent cellular cytotoxicity (ADDC), phagocytosis, or induction of differentiation. The different classes of antibodies (Ig) have different forms and polymorphisms. In addition, antibodies can be glycosylated. All of these structural features effect their function. Therapies can take advantage of the numerous functions and forms by directing how they want their target antibody to act. As an alternative option, new technologies have led to the production of increasingly specific antibody treatments, such as monoclonal antibodies, bi-specifics and even tri-specifics. Since there are multiple mechanisms of action (MoAs) for the different types of antibody components, assays must be flexible and up to date so they accurately reflect what will happen when they are introduced into the disease environment.
Sanquin PBS has elaborate knowledge on antibody structure as well as function and their research focus is at the cutting-edge of scientific frontiers. The team is flexible, responsive, and able to develop model systems (including new model systems) for new modalities in cellular assays. The lab specializes in the development of immunoassays to measure antibodies and antibody responses in a wide variety of settings, from in vitro cell cultures to patients. Their access to fresh material allows them to perform efficient safety testing. Some of the assays offered include:
- Generation of (anti-idiotype) antibodies in rabbits
- Detection of antibodies in plasma with and without drug present
- Assays for PK/PD
- Phospho-flow cytometry for mechanism of action studies
- FcaR, FcmR, FceR (simultaneously with FcgR if needed)
- Affinity detection with FcRn at neutral or low pH
- FcgR-multiplex chip on IBIS system for antibody profiling (affinity determination)
- Ready-made and custom solutions for preclinical in vitro and in vivo antibodies
- PK/PD Custom assays for structural and functional profiling of antibody responses (isotypes/subclass/specificities/affinities/…)
- (Whole blood) killing assays
Pharmaceutical companies, antibody therapy drug developers and intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG) producers come to Sanquin PBS for their capacity to perform a wide variety of antibody-related assays.